- 43% of women report a sexual dysfunction. (JAMA 1999)
- 33% of women and 15% of men report low libido. (JAMA 1999)
- 50% of marriages end in divorce. (Census Bureau,www.divorcereform.org/rates.html)
- 3000 couples get divorced each day. (CDC)
- Infidelity estimates in US range from 20-50% (Lampe, P.E. (Ed). Adultery in the United States: Close encounters of the Sixth (or Seventh) kind. Buffalo: Prometheus Books 1987.
- One estimate rates the % of Americans who would have an affair in their lifetime to be as high as 70% (Marriage and Divorce Today, June 1, 1987, cited in Fisher, Helen E. Anatomy of Love: The Natural history of monogamy, adultery, and divorce. New York: WW Norton and Company, Inc., 1992, p. 86.
- Approximately 20% of marriages are considered “sexless.”
- Depression affects twice as many women as men.
- 1/7of women will suffer depression in their lifetime (www.nimh.nih.gov/publicat/numbers.cfm).
- 73% of all psychiatric medications, including antidepressants, are prescribed to females (American Psychological Association).
- 55% of American adults are overweight and 22% are obese (CDC,www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/women.htm). Many overweight people feel that their weight negatively impacts their life satisfaction.
- 1/3 Americans are sleep deprived (sleep 6 or less hours per day) (archives of internal medicine, www.researchmatters.harvard.edu/story.php?article_id=609).
BOOKS AND WEB SITES
- Brandon, M., Ogas, O. & Gaddam, S. (2014). Unlocking the Sexy in Surrender.
- Brotto, L. Better Sex through Mindfulness: How Women Can Cultivate Desire
- Buehler, S. (2016). A heart pounding guide to passionate sex.
- Buehler, S. What Every Mental Health Professional Needs to Know about Sex
- Cass, Vivienne. The Elusive Orgasm
- Heiman, Julia. Becoming Orgasmic
- Joannides, P. Guide to Getting It On, Unzipped
- Kerner, Ian. Better Sex through Mindfulness
- Kerner, Ian. She Comes First
- McCarthy, Barry. Sex Made Simple; Coping with Erectile Dysfunction
- McCarthy, Barry. Sexual Awareness: Your Guide to Healthy Couple Sexuality
- Metz, M.W. & McCarthy, B.W. (2004). Coping with erectile dysfunction: How to regain confidence and enjoy great sex. Also Coping with Premature Ejaculation: How to overcome PE, please your partner and have great sex.
- Mintz, Laurie. Becoming Cliterate
- Nagoski, E. (2015). Come as you are: The surprising new science that will transform your sex life.
- Nelson, T. Getting the Sex You Want
- Perel, E., (2007). Mating in Captivity.
- Perel, E. Where Should We Begin? The Arc of Love. Sexlessness
- Sark. Succulent Wild Woman
- Schnarch, D. (2009). Passionate Marriage: Keeping love and intimacy alive in committed relationships.
- Sellers, T. Sex, God & the Conservative Church: Erasing Shame
- Sugrue, D., Foley, S. & Kope, S. Sex Matters for Women: A Complete Guide to Taking Care of Your Sexual Self